Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Happy National Children's Book Week!

In honor of National Children's Book Week I decided to list my top 10 favorite picture books of all time.  I encourage everyone to do the same.  I would love to see what other people's favorites are!


1.  The Mitten - by Jan Brett

Jan Brett was my hero growing up.  I was in awe of her illustrations and she is the reason I wanted to become a children's book author and illustrator.  The Mitten is (in my opinion) her best book.



2. Heckedy Peg - Audrey and Don Wood

This book was one of my dad's favorites, and so I always think of him when I read it.  The story is very much like a fairy tale with dark twists and turns.  




3. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins - Dr. Seuss

My list just wouldn't be complete without a book from Dr. Seuss.  The man was genius.




4.  Chrysanthemum - Kevin Henkes 

I have never known an author to capture the childlike feelings as well as Kevin Henkes.  It's like he can crawl inside the minds of children and pull their feelings out onto paper.



5. On the Night You Were Born - Nancy Tillman

This book is as soothing as a lullaby.  The rhythm of the words and illustrations work together to create a beautiful, peaceful flow that is just a joy to read. 



6.  The Eleventh Hour - Graeme Base

Graeme Base is the most talented illustrator I have ever known.  Period.  There is no one who can surpass him.




7.  The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

I have yet to read a more heartrending tale of love than the Giving Tree.  It just breaks my heart every time.  This book is a masterpiece.




8. The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales.  - Jon Scieszki and Lane Smith

This book was one of my first introductions to satire.  It's delightfully wicked.  




9. Hippos Go Beserk - Sandra Boynton

I've read this book to my two year old son over and over again, and I never get bored of it!  



10.  Liza Lou - Mercer Meyer

This book was one I pulled off the book shelf multiple times as a child.  I loved hearing my dad read it because he used an animated southern accent to tell the story.  




21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted these. I forgot Heckedy Peg and am excited to buy it and add it to my bookshelf. I would add to your already well drawn up list "Love You Forever" (I always enjoyed watching my mom cry while she read it to me), "Where the Wild Things Are" and "The Rainbow Fish."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! It makes me smile to think of you mom reading "Love You Forever" to you. Those are all excellent books you mentioned.

      Delete
  2. Dr. Seuss and Jan Bretf are two of my favorite PB authors. Reading Suess's books again always brings back memories of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time choosing between "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "500 Hats." Dr. Seuss has so many wonderful books.

      Delete
  3. I am unfamiliar with some of these, but based on my looooove for the ones I know, I will have to check them all out as it seems you have excellent taste. 500 Hats was one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books as a kid; I read it recently and was surprised at how different (it doesn't rhyme) it is from his later, sillier works. I adore the illustrations in the Don and Audrey Wood books we have read, but we haven't done Heckedy Peg yet. I always get such good recommendations on PPBF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we have similar taste! I hope you enjoy Heckedy Peg. It's a good one.

      Delete
  4. You have selected some of my favorite books. I love Brett, Wood, Henkes and Silverstein. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to hear we have similar tastes.

      Delete
  5. What a great list, Heather; THE MITTEN is one of my all time favorites. if you want to join in regularly with Perfect Picture Book Fridays, check out the format that Susanna and the rest of us use to add homogeneity to the list, especially the fairly unique addition to activities/resources to each book review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I know about the format. It's just that this week was National Children's book week and I wanted to do something extra special and share it with the PPBF group. Susanna's format is excellent and that is what I generally use.

      Delete
  6. Four are also favorites of mine...4 I haven't read...and just one I don't care for the illustrations so I haven't read the story. Wonderful idea to share these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which book is the one you don't like the illustrations. I agree there are certain books that just don't appeal to the eye so you just never read them. "Chicka Chika Boom Boom" is one of those books for me.

      Delete
  7. Love the Mitten, some I know and some I don't. Must check them out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have On the Night you were born and read a couple of others. I love the cover of Mercer Mayer's. Thanks for this great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Mercer Meyer's illustrations for Liza Lou are probably his best.

      Delete
  9. Heather...have I told you how much I LOVE your blog banner. :)
    GREAT list! Two of my absolute ALL-TIME favorites are on it...The Mitten (just gave my new little baby grand-daughter the story in a board book) and The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins. Super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Vivian! Congratulations on a new grand-daughter!

      Delete
  10. Nice list! I have read most of these, but there were a few I need to pick up next time I go to the library!
    I'm with Vivian....LOVE your blog banner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooooooooved 'The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales'. I remember when my teacher read it in elementary school (would that have been 3rd grade-ish?) I picked up that something was 'different' about this one. Great list! I'm not familiar with many of these titles, I'll have to make a trip to the library :)

    My favorite children's book was Purple, Green, and Yellow, about a girl who gets "super-indelible-never-comes-off-till-you're-dead markers." It was pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete