Monday, June 22, 2015

A Scarlet Tanager Surprise

This ink and watercolor piece is an entry for Susanna Hill's Illustrator Contest.  The prompt is "Discovery", and I am so incredibly excited!!!  There are already some wonderful entries and I can't wait to see the others.

I don't want to say too much about this piece because I want to leave room for the viewers' imaginations and interpretations, but I will say that scarlet tanagers are not very common birds, and for a young birdwatcher to happen upon an entire tree of them is rare.



29 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Heather! I love the way those gorgeous scarlet birds pop from the illustration, and what a wonderful thing to discover! Thanks so much for joining in the contest fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna! I had so much fun planning what to draw.

      Delete
  2. So retro! I really like this and your use of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty style, Heather! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at the proper bird name! Love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Heather. I love the ink and watercolor. And, as Teresa said, the proper bird name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the balance and how the birds really stand out. Fantastic, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Good energy of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely discovery a tree full of beautiful birds, there certainly is a story there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun illustration! I've spotted scarlet tanagers before only one or two at a time. Love the textures your've created with the ink and the boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! They are such lovely birds. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  10. Another favorite. I love the limited pallette. The birds are lovely. It makes me want to learn more about them. I love rare things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela!! They are intriguing birds to be sure.

      Delete
  11. Your illustrations are always a pleasant surprise. I really like this one. Excellent use of b/w-color to tell your story!

    ReplyDelete