Monday, February 8, 2016

Susanna Hill's Valentiny Writing Contest!

I am participating in one of Susanna Hill's fabulous writing contests. This year the theme is "Grumpy" and entries must be under 214 words. The deadline is February 12th and I strongly encourage everyone to participate or at least go and read some of the other wonderful entires. You can join in the fun by visiting here

And now without further ado I give you my story.

Walrus and Penguin (207 words)



Hmmmph!

What’s wrong Walrus?

I’m grumpy.

Why?

I just am.

Aww don’t be grumpy! I bet I can make you smile.

Bet you can’t.

Bet I can! I am a 1,000,000% sure I can make you smile.

You mean 100%. 

Nope! 1,000,000%! I'm gonna make you smile if it’s the last thing I do!

Hmmph.


Plan A

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Walrus.

Walrus who?

Walrus Poo! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That’s not funny.

Plan B

Look! A puppy! Ain’t he cute? Tell me he’s not the cutest thing you’ve ever seen. 

He’s not the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

Shhh! You'll hurt his feelings! 

Plan C

Tra la la la la! What a beautiful day! I sure hope I don’t slip on this banana peel...

Aghhh! THUD!

Ow.

Plan D

Ta-da! I made you banana cream pie! 

I don't like banana cream. 

YOU DON'T LIKE BANANA CREAM?!!! Unbelievable! That's it! You'll never smile again! You're going to be grumpy FOREVER!!!

SPLAT!

Did you just throw that banana cream pie at my face? 

Hehe...maybe.

You're smiling right now aren't you?

Yes.

Ha Ha! I did it! You're smiling! You’re finally smiling!

Okay okay. Don’t rub it in.

Mmmm! This banana cream pie is delicious! 

Hey Penguin?

Yes?

Thank you.

You’re welcome. 

30 comments:

  1. Penguin made me smile several times as I read this story :) Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I love the pie in face part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes. The good old pie in the face is always good for a laugh.

      Delete
  3. Super cute story and I love your sketches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the voices of Ron Swanson and Leslie Knope. heeehheehee. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! That is the best compliment ever! It's so funny you should say that because I'm currently watching Parks and Recreation for the first time and after my character sketch of the walrus I thought "That looks like Ron Swanson!"

      Delete
  5. This story made me giggle and also made me hungry for banana cream pie. Well done! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a great picture book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story.... and i love your illustrations too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HaHaHa! What a fun story. Love the voice in this. Well done! I really like the art, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always nice to have someone like Penguin around when you're having a grumpy day. Really cute story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! Yes we all need a penguin in our lives.

      Delete
  10. I love the illustrations! Darling story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute...and I love your illustrations, Heather. But now I am hungry...and would LOVE some of that banana cream pie.;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute - Those are all the tricks I use when I have grumpy girl scouts. I also sing about underwear, but that doesn't seem relevant right now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauri! Hahaha! Totally relevant! It's good to know what makes kids laugh. Underwear seems like a definite winner!

      Delete
  13. So cute & I love your illustrations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a determinedly cheerful little fellow Penguin is, and his persistence paid off in the end! Love all the plans, and that he was able to jolly old Walrus out of his bad mood :) And love your illustrations!!! Thanks so much for joining in the first ever Valentiny fun, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna! It was so much fun. Thank you for creating this delightful prompt!

      Delete
  15. Love this story! You made every word count with it all in dialogue. I hope to see these characters again!

    ReplyDelete