Saturday, October 4, 2014

Don't Go to the Light!

I was challenged by my friend Catherine to write a piece of horror flash fiction centered around an insect.  I gladly took on the challenge.  As I was writing this I realized I may need to try writing outside of the picture book genre more often because even my horror stories come out sounding like a picture book. Enjoy!

Don't Go to the Light!

Four lunar moths: Lucinda, Laramie, Latisha, and Lou flitted together through the woods at night.

They came upon a clearing where the full moon glowed brilliantly in the sky. “Look at that!” Cried Lucinda, and she took off toward the beautiful orb of light.

CHOMP! The three other moths looked on in horror as a giant bat came out of no where and put an end to Lucinda’s flight to the moon. He smirked as a piece of her dainty wing jutted lifelessly from the corner of his mouth and then disappeared into the night.

Laramie, Latisha, and Lou pressed on, resisting with all their might the pull of the sinister moon. They passed children catching fireflies, and Laramie paused to admire the jar of multiple blinking lights.

“No Laramie!” Cried Lou. “Don’t follow the lights!” But it was too late. Laramie had already started flying to the jar.

“AH HA!” yelled a child as he cupped Laramie in his hands. “A fine specimen for our collection.” And he placed Laramie in the jar of prisoners. He beat frantically against the glass pleading for help, but Latisha and Lou were powerless so they left him there.

They came to a small farmhouse where a great light beckoned to them on the front porch. Lou averted his gaze, but Latisha could not look away.

“Latisha no!” cried Lou, but she was already gravitating toward doom.

ZAP! An electric shock pelted through her small, unsuspecting body and she fell to the ground. 

“Latisha!” Lou dove down to his last and only friend, but she was gone. The sun began to rise.  Lou cursed the light found shelter in the darkest corner of an empty cardboard box to wait for it to pass. Darkness was his only friend now.

6 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Thanks for doing my challenge. :-D I needed a little break from poetry and flash fiction gave me that. I'll have to do more of it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it! Not sure I can do horror about bugs but you did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuck! It was certainly a challenge and it forced me to break away from my usual style, but it was fun.

      Delete
  3. Poor Lou. Great little flash fiction! The cover is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julieann! I've never really written flash fiction, but I do write picture books and since most of the time picture books are only supposed to be a few hundred words it wasn't too hard to make the switch.

      Delete