Thursday, September 26, 2013

I Deserve

Last night I attended a Berea College Creative Writing Group session with Libby Jones.  I was impressed with the raw talent that shone through many of the students there.  Many of us chose to write on the prompt, "I deserve a..."  Here is the poem I wrote. It's meant to be about people who become consumed by feelings of entitlement and are unable to enjoy their lives for what they are.


I Deserve

I am an honest man
I work without complaint
I finish all my chores
I’m a conscientious saint.

But who is there to see it?
Is it just too much to ask
For some appreciation
When I finish every task.

I deserve a pension.
I deserve a raise.
I deserve a holiday.
I deserve more praise.

Why does no one listen?
Why does no one care?
I just want what’s owed to me.
I just want what’s fair.

I deserve more free time
I deserve less strife.
I deserve more friends.
I deserve a life.

This world is full of fuck ups
Yet I’m the only one
Who seems to be unhappy
When all is said and done.

I deserve a woman
To share my home and bed
To adore me every moment
And love me till we’re dead

What am I doing wrong?
I cannot understand
Why life should be so dismal
So colorless and bland.



2 comments:

  1. Well done, Heather. I think your intention comes through clearly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Susanna. It was a lot of fun to write.

      Delete