Thursday, April 30, 2015

Help! I Need Blogging Advice.

I am trying to make my blog more inviting and approachable.  I want it to be the sort of blog that when people visit for the first time they think, "Hey!  She seems awesome.  I want to be her friend.  I want to follow this blog and continue to see what she has to say."

So my first step toward making this happen is changing my bio.  My current one is decidedly lame.  I've written a few scenarios and I'm leaning toward using the 3rd, but I would love your input.
  1. “Tell me what you love, and I will tell you who you are.” - Arsene Houssaye                                                                                                                                        There are so many things in my life to love! I love to write. I love to draw. I love books (especially picture books). I love nature. I love Marlon Brando. I love to play board games. I love my dog Ginny. I love my husband. I love my 4 year-old son. So I guess that makes me a writer, artist, bookworm, tree-hugger, old movie junkie, geek, animal lover, wife, and mother. That’s me!
  2. When people used to ask me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I said, “A picture book author/illustrator.” Then as I got older I decided that wasn’t practical so I majored in sociology. But when I became a mother and started reading picture books again. The childhood dream was revived, and now I spend my days doing what I love: writing, drawing, and reading lots and lots of picture books!
  3. Hi!  My name is Heather.  As an aspiring children's book author/illustrator I am constantly reading picture books.  They are my research, my inspiration, and my mentors.  I am always looking to connect with other picture book enthusiasts.  Parents, librarians, teachers, illustrators, you are my people!  I would love to hear from you!  Seriously if you have any book recommendations or have a blog devoted to picture books like mine, please make yourselves known!  My email is heatherdent56@gmail.com.  
Also if you have any other blogging tips or advice I am all ears. What can I do to improve my blog?  How can I form lasting friendships with other bloggers of similar interests? What in your opinion is the key to having a successful blog?

Thanks so much for your time!



6 comments:

  1. I'm leaning toward number 3 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be difficult and say a mix between two and three? What I like about option two is how you tied your return to picture books to being a mom. I think that's super compelling. If you can throw that into option three, I'd say your bio is golden! And try this site for practical blog tips! http://designyourownblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Thank you so much Victoria. I truly value your input.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to be late to the commenting here, Heather. I read this a few days ago, but I was thinking (always a slow process for me :)) I like #3, which seems to be the popular pick. As for blogging tips and advice, I wish I had some! I think the key to "forming lasting friendships with bloggers of similar interests" is to visit their blogs and comment on them and hope they notice you and start to come over to your blog and continue the dialogue. It's very time-consuming, but there's no short-cut way that I know of. And it's hard to find time for everything. When I start to struggle with time, visiting and commenting on other blogs is usually the first thing to get dropped off my to-do list, and if I do it too much I see a drop in my blog comments. I think the key to having a successful blog is to come up with content that other's find interesting or entertaining, or that is useful or helpful to them in some way. Easy peasy, right? :) You have a lot of talent as an illustrator, and there aren't as many illustrations blogs as there are writing blogs (I don't think), so maybe you could do a series on illustration techniques, or on picture book artists, highlighting how they used certain techniques to good effect. Maybe some illustrator interviews (not too long!) where readers could get to know some basics about the artists behind the picture book. Maybe you could invite other illustrators to guest post with their tips or techniques. I don't know... just making stuff up :) Good luck! I like your blog already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna I could just hug your right now! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and helpful comment. It means the world to me.

      Delete