Monday, October 13, 2014

Halloween for Kids


I have done a lot of research on this topic lately and read about 30-40 of what I consider to be Halloween picture books.  It was tough, but I narrowed them down to my top 10 favorites.



1.  Big Pumpkin - Written by Erica Silverman and illustrated by S. D. Schindler.

I am a bit nostalgic about this book since it's one of my dad's all time favorites and he read it to me many many times as a kid. Now I'm carrying on the tradition and reading it to my own son. The rhythm of this book is delightful and it's fun to read all the character's voices in different accents.  It is a most enjoyable book to read aloud.





2.  The Monster's Monster - Written and illustrated by Patrick McDonnell

This author is the creator of the daily comic strip Mutts.  His comics are adorable, but not quite as adorable as this book!  I guarantee that you will not find a sweeter Halloween picture book than this one or at the very least you won't find a more adorable spin off Frankenstein.  




3.  The Hallo-Wiener - Written and illustrated by Dav Pilkey


This is a terrific Halloween book if you are looking for a laugh.  It's funny for the kids plus there are a few hidden jokes for the parents to enjoy as well.



4.  The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything - Written by Linda Williams and illustrated by Megan Lloyd

I remember reading this book back in elementary school.  It has just the right amount of scariness for little kids.  It's enough to make them feel slightly uneasy, but all turns out well in the end and it leaves you with an overall good feeling. 




5.  Ghost in the House - Written by Ammi Joan Paquette and illustrated by Adam Record

Not only is this an adorable Halloween book, it's also a great counting book!  It begins with 1 ghost exploring a house and as he stumbles upon new friends the numbers in the group increase.  The characters are lovable and the rhythm and rhyming in this book is terrific.  




6.  The Ghost of Nicholas Greebe - Written by Tony Johnston and Illustrated by S. D. Schindler

 My 3 year old son is still a bit too young for this book, but I would highly recommend it to kids 5 and up.  The plot is excellent, the illustrations are awesome, and it is the perfect ghost story for kids!




7.  I'm Going to Eat You!  - Written by Matt Mitter and illustrated by Jimmy Pickering

This is definitely one of my son's favorites.  It's a  delightful pop up book full of fun Halloween monsters and an interesting twist at the end. This is one of those books Samuel asks me to read again and again and again.






8.  Vampirina Ballerina - Written by Annie Marie Pace and illustrated by LeUyen Pham

I was so excited when I stumbled across this book at the library because LeUyen Pham is one of my all time favorite illustrators and I was delighted to see she had done a Halloween book! The story is sweet and the illustrations are lovely.  





9.  Go Away Big Green Monster! - By Ed Emberley

I was first introduced to this book when a librarian read it to my son and I and a room full of toddlers during "Baby Time."  The book fascinated Samuel and when the librarian had finished he insisted on reading it again himself.  It is a delightful book and I think it's great in teaching kids confidence to face their fears.



10.  Room on the Broom - Written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Alex Scheffler

I have saved the best book for last.  This one is my son's favorite as well as mine.  We were introduced to it when we watched short film version of it.  I liked it so much that my husband got me the book for my birthday.  Samuel often likes to play act this entire book.  He has the lines memorized and everything.  




Thanks letting me share my favorite Halloween book list with you.  Please feel free to share your favorites as well.  I'm always looking for new books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment