Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Happiness

Last week I received a most delightful package in the mail, a copy of the book I illustrated for my Aunt Linda, Lucy and Friends.  It was the first time I'd seen it in the form of an actual book. There is something incredibly satisfying about seeing your work in print.  Throughout the entire evening I kept peeking at it to admire my handiwork.

The next morning when my 3 year old son woke up I had him come sit on my lap and showed him the book.  "Look!"  I said.  "I illustrated this book.  I drew the pictures!"  Not many people out there get to say these words.  It felt so good.

After reading the book my son said, "That book is awesome."  Boy, oh boy!  My son really knows how to pay a swell compliment.  The countless hours I spent drawing, painting, and formatting were entirely worth it just to hear those 4 words.  I gave him a big ole squeeze and felt like a million bucks.  It's his opinion (as well as other kids) that mean the most.  He even asked me to read it again!

This is why I do what I do.  Money is nice.  Recognition is even nicer.  But being able to connect with the imagination of children is the reason I got in to this business.  Words cannot express my happiness in achieving this goal with my first illustrated book.



1 comment: