Monday, December 15, 2014

Top 15 Favorite Christmas Picture Books

So many Christmas picture books to choose from!  Seriously the libraries are packed with all kinds of Christmas gems.  I've read about 50 of them this year, but this is only a handful.  I know there are many others out there that haven't come to my attention yet, and if you have favorites that aren't listed here please let me know!  I've carefully selected our families top 15 favorites by observing the books my son likes best, the ones I love most, and the ones that delight us both.

My 3 Year Old Son’s Favorites
These are the one's my 3 year old son has asked me to read time and time again.  He never gets tired of them!

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer – written by Robert L. May and illustrated by David Wenzel
Christmas Eve with Mrs. Claus – by M. P. Hueston, illustrated by Teri Weidner
How do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas? – by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Mark Teague
Santasaurus - Niamh Sharkey
The Christmas Box - by Eve Merriam, illustrated by David Small



My Favorites
Most of these are ones I loved growing up.   There's nothing more nostalgic than my childhood memories of reading these books by our Christmas tree lights.
The Wild Christmas Reindeer – Jan Brett
How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Dr. Seuss
Merry Christmas Strega Nona – Tomie dePauola
Father Christmas – Raymond Briggs
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey – by Susan Wojciechowski, illustrated by P. J. Lynch

Our Mutual Favorites
The best kind of books are the ones that both you and your kid truly love and enjoy.  These brilliant five have brought many smiles to my son and I this Christmas season and I strongly suggest that you all go out and read them!
Santa Claus the World’s Number One Toy Expert – Marla Frazee
Snow – Uri Shulevitz
Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas – by Jane O’Connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser
It’s Christmas David! - David Shannon
Red Sled – Lita Judge







No comments:

Post a Comment